1. It is the only state whose name has one syllable.
2. According to a highly unscientific-looking site, the most
money you can legally win in Maine is $3.
3. The state nickname is the “Vacation State”.
It’s fitting.
There are many remote towns boasting Maine’s particular brand of grave,
Northeastern, secluded beauty, and they have names like Naples and Norway, even
Mexico.
My destination: Sweden, ME. Population: 372.
Not including the temporary, tiny residents that attend the music camp
there each year.
Credit: richardoconnor.wordpress.com
My old stomping grounds.
Let me tell you, people there don’t look like they do here
in Somerville, MA. I particularly love
the look of the women from these rural areas: sturdy and masculine. I hung out by a lake today, next to a
fat aging woman in a very colorful bathing suit, wearing a star-spangled cap
and smoking a cigarillo.
I wondered briefly what people from these areas think about
their physique and self-image.
What type of body is idealized?
I never see people close to my age when I’m there, mostly middle-aged
people that look accustomed to a life of difficult physical labor. Or people that don’t spend their energy
fighting the natural processes of aging and slowing metabolism.
The skinny hipster physique that seems to thrive in Boston
would appear sickly here. I know there
are many different factors at play here, most notably (to me) the generation
gap. Not to mention geographic
region, income level, type of work, access to mainstream media? Can any one think of anything
else?
No comments:
Post a Comment