Instead of only loving your body when it's "perfectly fit", how about loving your body for the amazing things that it can do?
I understand that this comic is feminism-lite; every one is down with size acceptance as long as every one is trying as hard as they can to have a "perfectly fit" body.
Does any one think it's sad that the only narrative we have for not reaching our "target size" is lack of willpower?
Am I reading too far into this?
PS: I just clarified on facebook what I meant by this post. I'll rewrite it here: what I meant to say is that this comic is a good reflection of the way women usually talk to each other about weight; that even if their friends on't have the body they want (which is almost always), the friend gives permission to love themselves, but it holds the "perfect body" as a beauty ideal. What I'm saying in my blog is that I want to go further - really accepting all types of bodies, not just settling for less than the ideal. Does that make sense?
i don't think you're reading too far into it. the use of the word "perfectly" is what gets me - who's telling me what's "perfectly" fit? who says what is ideal? only me, as far as i'm concerned. (at least, in theory, when i'm totally well-adjusted.)
ReplyDeleteYou mean YOU get to decide what the perfect ideal is? Let me tell you what it is. It's YOU! And YOU!
ReplyDeleteAnd YOU!!!! (Keep on rockin on, klowe).
ReplyDelete