Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Putting "ghetto" to bed

Dear Readers,

I see it pop up on my news feed nearly every day.  I hear it peppering conversations.  It's about as inventive/descriptive as "random" or "lame", but friends, we should know better than to abuse


credit zazzle.com



When did "ghetto" evolve from a noun into a slang adjective?

THIS is a ghetto.

credit ushmm.org



This too.
thank you cjs.ucsc.edu

We all know what a ghetto is; a poverty-stricken urban area.  How would you put it, Wikipedia?

A ghetto is a part of a city predominantly occupied by a particular ethnic group that may be looked down upon for various reasons, especially because of social or economic issues, or because they have been forced to live there.

These are the things I have heard referred to as "ghetto": lesser versions of other things ("this is the 'ghetto' version"), and styles associated with Black people.  The adjective "ghetto" has become an ambiguous, catch-all adjective of our generation that we have loaded with negative connotations; especially problematic because it has become synonymous with Black culture.  

It's especially creepy that the historical context for the word describes a group that has been forced to live there.  Guys, this is messed up.  We can be more precise with our language and less racist in the process.  

But I'm not done yet.  You're probably wondering what this all has to do with a size acceptance blog.

First of all, size acceptance, as I have said before, is a feminist issue, which is a movement concerned with all things progressive, committed to addressing inequalities beyond gender and sexism: classism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, immigrant issues ... the list goes on.  And of course, feminism has a personal stake in these movements because patriarchy plays a huge role in creating these inequalities in the first place.  As feminists, we can and should leverage both our privilege and empathy towards minority groups to effect change.

And secondly, fat is both more commonplace and tolerated in the Black community.  And there is no group more patronized/exploited for comedic reasons than fat women of color.  The stereotype of the ghetto, fat black woman is always pure comedic gold.

I have heard the word "ghetto" used to describe fat Black men and women, since "fat" is seen as a bad word, and most people would go to any lengths to avoid using it as a description, but they still find it important to convey that they are indeed talking about a fat person.  So, following this line of reasoning, "ghetto" is for some reason a kinder word to use than "fat".  

This is irresponsible and judgmental.  I think it's high time we put the adjective "ghetto" to rest, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. It's always made me a little uncomfortable, I guess now I can see why. Personally, I think the terms "sketchy" or "sketch" adequately cover any semantic ground that "ghetto" might be used to describe (Except, of course, its association with fat.) So that you can have a "sketchy" part of town, or buy a pair of sneakers that turned out to be "sketch." The ultimate meaning is something like "unwholesome, unsavory, impoverished, or inferior." The racial connotation can thus be avoided.
    As for the use of "ghetto" to describe a fat person, one need only observe pop culture's paean to black female size acceptance, "Baby Got Back." At no point in his varied and inventive terms to describe a large buttocks does Sir Mix-A-Lot use the term "ghetto," though he repeatedly draws the connection between race and size and uses the term "fat." Likewise, other fat positive works such as "Rump Shaker" similarly avoid the term. It would seem that, far from being gentle, the term "ghetto" is inherently negative and thus has no place in a discourse that, like these two works, is accepting and appreciative of fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting, CaptPoco. You're right, the word "ghetto" is a little complicated because it has been somewhat reclaimed. But unlike another, non-racially-charged reclaimed word that comes to mind, "queer", "ghetto" has different connotations when different groups of people say it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, this blog is brilliant. You seriously never cease to amaze me with the genuine and intelligent person that you are. I am definitely going to become a regular reader!

    ReplyDelete