Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

Feeding your mind, part 1

Sometimes, having such a specialized blog makes me feel so insignificant, not very well rounded. Who wants to think about size acceptance all the time? Or any one thing for that matter? If you read this post, you’ll know that I clearly don’t. There are books, poetry, news, friendship, laughter, love . . . I’m going crazy. I’m just a tiny speck in the universe, you know?

SO I INTERRUPT YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING TO LEARN SOMETHING MIND-BLOWING ABOUT THE UNIVERSE.

Buckle your seatbelts, readers.

On July 4th, scientists at CERN (remember CERN? From that timeless classic, Angels and Demons? or maybe from your own highly rigorous research) found, with sigma-5 level certainty (which is tantamount to discovery) the Higgs boson particle. 

(that’s nice what’s that) 

 If you want to hear it first from a concise, compassionate expert, I highly recommend this article, by Ainissa Ramirez.

Physics operates on a theory, known as the Standard Model of particle physics, to explain how particles interact. According to Lawrence M. Krauss, writing for CNN, “The model provides an eloquent description of almost all of nature as we have observed in experiments in a few equations that can fit on a T-shirt” [Article, cnn.com, posted 7/6/12].


Credit: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~bachmann/Lehre/F13.php

But scientists had not yet found the Higgs boson, a subatomic elementary particle that is the basis for this theory. Peter Higgs proposed the theory for this particle in 1964 to explain why some particles have mass and others don’t. To explain how the universe went from nothing to something. 48 YEARS AGO. And modern physicists have been on a quest to find this particle or else devise a new explanation to revise our understanding of the universe. WHAT.


 Video: CNN Scientists confirm 'God Particle' exists


Thank you for tuning into this first installment of Feeding your mind. I hope your mind is as blown as mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment