Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

fat label vs queer label

The fat label can be used in two ways.  I have usually heard it used in a derogatory way, but like many slurs directed at marginalized groups, some fat people have reclaimed the label. Rarely is it used as a neutral descriptor.


We see a similar phenomenon with the "queer" label, but these labels are very different.  Gayness is (often) perceived as an essential, genetic, biologically-influenced trait.




Many mainstream "nurture" vs. "nature" arguments proposing what makes people gay are both accepted, but for the most part, it seems that their allies don't really care.  Being gay is hip, subversive, and interesting.  On the other hand, fat people are shamed for their lack of discipline and are viewed as people that could be thin if they really wanted.  Their marginal status is seen as their own fault.

I just used queer and gay interchangeably, but that's not right.  Queer is a label requiring voluntary visibility.  Many LGBT people do not identify as queer.  I can think of three factors in determining "queerness":
-Same-sex sexual/romantic encounters OR curiosity, interest (or shame?) in contemplating doing so*
-Interest in “queer issues” (queer-related politics and history, combating gender and sexual-based violence . . .?)
-Desire to be viewed as “queer”


I was interested in surveying fat friends of mine, and then I realized the absurdity of that project.  Queer is a label contingent on voluntary visibility.  The fatosphere is a reaction to too much visibility and shame associated with it.  Because which of my friends are fat?  Suddenly I’m in charge of choosing the ones that I think are fat.  Who do I pick: the friends that hate their bodies, or that love their bodies? The ones pressured constantly by their mothers or occasionally by perfect strangers to lose weight?  The ones who think that others find their bodies disgusting, with no verbal proof?  Or the ones that own their unconventionally larger size (or body part) with pride?


No comments:

Post a Comment