Amid the fiscal cliff and upcoming debt ceiling talks, Violence Against Women Act (RIP), continuing violence in Syria, human rights abuses in Russia, etc, etc, etc,
At least the little world of size acceptance has had some good news lately.
NYT: "Our Absurd Fear of Fat" by Paul Campos
"The study,
by Katherine M. Flegal and her associates at the C.D.C. and the
National Institutes of Health, found that all adults categorized as
overweight and most of those categorized as obese have a lower mortality
risk than so-called normal-weight individuals."
And based on the same study:
NPR: "Research: A Little Extra Fat Might Help You Live Longer" by Allison Aubrey
A large aspect of this story is the (surprise!) vehement, angry backlash to the CDC/NIH's findings.
Also, Israel has passed a law banning models with a BMI lower than 18.5 from the runway, and requiring magazines to indicate when they have airbrushed a model to look like she has less than a BMI of 18.5.
I find it problematic that the word this article uses to describe these models is "anorexic". (I chucked at the ABC headline that uses the phrase "BMI-Challenged".) Still, I'm glad that they are diversifying women's bodies used in the fashion industry. The article points to this statistic: "73% of teenage girls who abuse diet pills and 79% of teenage girls who self-purge frequently read women's fitness and health magazines." (Statistic via Rader Programs, an eating disorder clinical treatment program.)
Story: Plus Model Mag: "Israel Law Against Anorexic Models Goes Into Effect" (Picture at top mildly NSFW)
Finally, there's this Huffington Post article from today, pointing out the HAES - related fail in the UK Royal College of Physicians report on obesity, including their dubious suggestions to help people lose weight, their misleading spin on how obesity impacts medical costs, pictures of headless fatties, and Meadow's assessment of why the report's entire concern is misguided. The worst part is the first few comments I read (I know! I know! I gotta stop) - defensive people who are concerned with the "why" of obesity - who clearly didn't take in anything from the article. It's definitely worth a read!
Huffington Post: "Same Year, Same Old Nonsense About Obesity" by Angela Meadows
Now, back to all the important, depressing news in the entire world.
To view other studies that I have published, check out this post.
No comments:
Post a Comment