But then, there are those times when I am confronted with some one that I feel is misinformed, or stuck in a bad routine, or reflecting the angst or uncertainty they feel in their life. If they compensate by emphatically trying to impose their negative-energy worldview on me, I don't want to be there anymore.
Which brings me to my new year's resolution: I probably shouldn't read any more comments on the Internet.
| xkcd #202 |
Loud-mouthed idiots, trolls parodying loud-mouthed idiots, idiots taking idiots incredibly seriously, awful self-important writing everywhere I turn. I don't want to be a part of that!
(Side note: are online people different than real-life people? Let's not forget one of our most time-honored Internet arithmetic theorums: Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total D***wad.)
But I feel tempted when I read an article about weight loss and body image, and I read mean comments about fat people. Or blame game comments about how you're doing it wrong. Online, every one starts to look a little like a troll.
But guess what? It's not up to me to spread the FA gospel to the Internet haters. This blog is not for them.
It's for me, and for you. It's for any one who wants to educate themselves about a topic they find interesting or have never thought about before.
I guess my real new year's resolution is to engage with sensible people who challenge me to form nuanced opinions, while still standing up for what I believe in. To not be afraid of either staying resolute in my lightly-held opinions, or of changing my deeply-held worldviews. And to fearlessly educate myself about anything that I feel is important.
And, in the spirit of my resolution, to implore the same of you.
Oh, I also want to eat more challah.
Happy new years xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment