Hey every one, a quick update. (I heard that sigh of relief.) If you go through the archives of this blog, you might see some small changes. That's because I'm trying to tighten up the style of the blog and, more importantly, make it more rigorous. So, adding links and avoiding sentence constructions like "I have heard".
In the meantime, I have a few posts in the works. And I've been thinking a lot about something I said about mass-produced media in my previous entry: "These blatantly fat-hating, insipid forms of media are not worth my time and energy to attack." (Once again, is it tacky to quote myself? As long as I'm not using it for self-promotion, it's fine, right?)
I realize that a huge and especially stupid chunk of fat hatred comes from tabloid-style magazines and newspapers, idiotic movies with an entire cast of one-dimensional characters, daytime television shows targeted towards women with a heavy corporate sponsorship/emphasis on dieting, anti-size acceptance bloggers with about as much credibility as me, etc, etc. And while I've decided that they are not worth attacking, I'm trying to find the line between credible media and idiotic media.
And I realize how snooty and privileged that sounds. I'm sure there is a line, but it's thick and blurry. And I'm trying to find it.
But at the same time, maybe it doesn't make a difference. Any thoughts on what's worthy of my attention?
I see what you're saying about tabloid style magazines. They absolutely are trash journalism but they have huge readership and extensive influence. So even if they are idiotic, they probably have more influence over Americans than say the Economist or the New Yorker. In that way, I do think they are worthy of your attention if you choose to pay attention.
ReplyDeleteIt's kind of like Jersey Shore. The show was complete and utter garbage but it had huge ratings and huge pop culture currency. So while it was trash, it was presenting dating violence, alcohol abuse, bullying, etc. etc. and was therefore worth a critical eye.
It's ultimately your call of course but you shouldn't feel that it's a waste of your time to consider the influence of trashy television or magazines. People watch that stuff so even if it is horrible, its effects are far reaching.
LOVE LOVE LOVE
Thanks, AJC, your comment gave me a lot to think about. LOVE!
ReplyDelete